Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's too soon to say goodbye.


I went out to feed the chickens this morning and they were quiet, nobody seemed interested in me.


Blackie was dead in the chicken coop. She was laying in the hay underneath her roost.


When I came inside the collect myself and the things I would need to take care of her, I watched the chickens go back into the coop and approach her. The red twins were confused and scared and Baby stood over her until I came back out.


Our lovely Hen Noir.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of Hen Noir's sudden demise and I'm sure the other girls are somewhat unhinged by her absence. I'm sure you will miss her Houdini-channeled shenanigans, her gentle disposition, and her rich, dazzlingly beautiful irridescent hue. and her eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was way too soon to say goodbye. Sorry to hear about Hen Noir--I'm sure the gang will miss her too.

    ReplyDelete